This low carb porridge uses a base of nuts, seeds and coconut to create a great alternative to a traditional oatmeal.
The porridge is soaked in almond milk to soften the nuts and seeds and help create an oatmeal consistency.
- ¼ cup of almond flour
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of pecan nuts, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1–1/2 teaspoons of xylitol
- 10 raspberries
- Add the ground almonds, shredded coconut, pecans and chia seeds to a small saucepan.
- Add half of the almond milk and stir well to combine. Leave to stand and soak for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of xylitol to the pan. Turn the heat to low/medium and stir well to combine, melting the oil.
- Add the remaining almond milk to the pan and bring up to a gentle simmer. Stir well.
- Allow the porridge to simmer gently for 6-7 minutes stirring regularly, until thickened and creamy. If the porridge is too thick, you can add a little more milk and extra xylitol if you prefer it a little sweeter.
- Whilst the porridge is cooking, add the raspberries to a small pan with a teaspoon of water and the remaining xylitol. Bring to a gentle boil, crushing the raspberries into a coarse jam.
- Top the porridge with the jam to serve.
Feel free to use any plant-based milk you prefer – it will still be just as delicious!
The recipe will thicken on standing so is best served hot straight from the pan.
- Calories: 590
- Fat: 52.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g (Net carbs)
- Protein: 9.5 g