Originating in Naples in the mid 20th century, spaghetti alla puttanesca is a pasta dish which typically involve tomatoes, olive oil, anchovies, olives, caper and garlic.
This vegan keto take on a classic puttanesca uses zucchini in place of spaghetti and includes broccoli for an added nutritional boost.
It’s a quick and simple dinner for one while remaining filling and delicious. It’s perfect for weeknights and when you are short on time.
- 1/2 cup of broccoli florets
- 1 1/4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 6 black olives, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of capers, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled into wide strips (discard the core)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the broccoli florets to a pan of boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender, drain and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over a low/medium heat. Add the garlic and sweat briefly to soften, then add the red pepper flakes and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- Add the capers and olives and stir well, cooking for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and zucchini strips and stir well. Season to taste and cook for a minute or two until the zucchini is just tender.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce and warm through.
- Serve immediately and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
It is best to only briefly cook the zucchini otherwise it will release too much liquid.
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 380 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3 g (Net carbs)
- Protein: 4.3 g