This quick and easy spaghetti is a vegan keto take on a classic Bolognese.
The recipe uses peeled zucchini strips to create the spaghetti and is topped with a rich and aromatic tomato based sauce. Walnuts replace the traditional ground meat.
This is a perfect option when you are looking for a speedy dinner or lunch, packed with flavor.
- 1–1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled into long wide strips
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a small pan over a low/medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sweat gently until tender – about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and oregano and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes to let the sauce reduce a little
- Add the chopped walnuts and fresh basil. Season to taste and stir well to combine, simmer gently for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a separate pan over a low/medium heat and add the zucchini strips with a pinch of salt. Cook gently for a minute or two until just tender.
- Arrange the zucchini spaghetti in a bowl and top with the Bolognese sauce to serve.
Do not overcook the zucchini or it will release too much liquid.
For an extra nutrient boost, sprinkle over a pinch of nutritional yeast to serve.
- Calories: 403.2
- Fat: 37.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.4 g (Net carbs)
- Protein: 7.1 g